Sunday 15 May 2011

Do you wish to apply for Legal Aid, Mr Hess?

 ‘Do you wish to apply for Legal Aid, Mr Hess?’
 I laughed again and he looked even more bewildered.
 ‘Sorry Mr Schoenberg, maybe I should explain. Reuben
McKenzie gave me your name. The charges for handling
stolen goods were levelled against a slick bunch of criminals
called Nazis.’
 Toad of Toad Hall’s eyes widened. ‘Nazis?’ he said.
 ‘Yes, one in particular. Rudolf Hess... I presume you’ve
heard the story of him flying here and bailing out south of the city?’
 He nodded. ‘But I don’t know what this has to do with me.’
 I held the flame of my lighter under my cigarette, inhaled and
looked directly at him, allowing tumbleweed to blow through
for a second or so. ‘I came here because Reuben McKenzie told
me you were in a concentration camp or something as a kid and
have contacts.’ I snapped the lid of my lighter shut.
 There was a silence. He studied me with calculation then
pruned the end of his cigar with a trimmer. ‘I see you’ve done your homework,’ he said. ‘Carry on.’
 ‘See, it’s like this. I believe Rudolf Hess brought gold with
him, and was aided by people we would now call sleepers. One in
particular was a well known car dealer in Glasgow, Peter Van Luben.’

Read The Bumble's End

No comments: